Wednesday, May 6, 2015

"Spring" in GTMO

It's been a fun last few weeks for us here in our new city/country! Jim and I are settled in, the house is feeling like home, and is mildly decorated too, which helps a lot. Considering we have cinder block walls, the picture hanging was a bit more of a production, but I'll take some pictures of the house and give more details on that another time.

I'm going to go all the way back to Easter, because we have cute pictures from then. Jim and I went to a sunrise service at one of the beaches and it was really nice. A little later, we met with some friends for brunch at the Bayview. The Bayview is our "nice" restaurant, and it really is a fun spot with indoor and outdoor seating, right on the water. Sunday brunch is a buffet, but is actually pretty good and since it was Easter, things got real fancy with a lamb station AND a ham station AND a crepe station added on. Woop woop!



Easter Jimmy







Easter Iggy



The Color Me GTMO 5k was the next weekend and it was really nice and well organized. Jim and I ran a Color Run in Richmond a few years ago and were comparing the two. The one in Richmond was like $75, so crowded, and there was ONE food truck at the finish line party. It was completely ridiculous. This one was $10, and they had free burgers and dogs and drinks at the end and a good little set up with music and a bar. I have to say, I'm really impressed with MWR and all of the things set up for us here.



Jim also has run for a relay team in a sprint triathlon and an Olympic triathlon since we got here. They placed 3rd in the sprint, and 4th in the Olympic, and I cheered them on :)


Climate Update: Really there are 2 seasons here, summer and summerer. Right now we are transitioning into summerer, with temps in the high 80s/low 90s during the day. When I first got here 2 short months ago, it was a chilly 75 in the evenings, but those days are officially gone for a while. It is also really dry, and until this week, we'd only had a light sprinkle since I got here. A few nights ago, shortly after we fell asleep (aka the half-awake, everything-is-weird, groggy state) Jim and I were stirring because of this crazy noise coming from outside. Seriously, we both were like "WHAT IS THAT?!?" It was the weirdest sound....like lots of water coming from somewhere. Jim went to the front door to check and oh...it was raining. In our defense, it was REALLY raining. And we came from San Diego, where it also never REALLY rains. But still funny and we survived. It was over by morning, which I guess is the norm around here, and we were left with the oh so glorious humidity for the next day. Luckily, I had planned a very early morning run, and my Florida girl days paid off dealing with the 90% humidity while trying to exercise outside.


Izzy and Admiral are adjusting well, too. Our neighborhood isn't named Iguana Terrace for nothing...we have a steady stream of mini dinosaurs that hang out in our yard. Izzy loves watching them out the window and whining wanting to go out and play all the time.
Addy prefers the smaller lizards in the backyard that he (thinks he) has a better chance of catching. The iguanas are quick, so we haven't had any real incidents, yet.
Next week I am heading home for a friend's wedding, so I'll be back in the land of phones, internet, stores, and restaurants. I'm off to make my "to-do" list of things to eat, buy, and TV shows to binge watch on Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment